Saturday, May 14, 2011

How you arrived....











Eli Wesson Sims....





We checked into the hospital at 8:00 pm, May 4, 2011. I was not dilated at all, and was contracting only every 8 minutes. Honestly, I couldn't feel a thing, but that's what the nurse told me. We started slurry immediately, a sprite like drink I took every two hours. It was followed by constant monitoring of your heart beat and my blood pressure. The nurse kept telling me that I needed to get some sleep but how is a girl supposed to sleep when there is a cuff squeezing my arm every 30 minutes, and a nurse asking me question after question? Oh and not to mention I was STARVING and was only offered ice chips even though my morning nurse said I could have eaten the whole time...but that's a whole other story!!


Around midnight we started pitocin to speed up the process even more. At 7:15 I met the most wonderful person....my anesthesiologist who hooked me up with my epidural. I was only about 3 cm at this point, but since he had 2 c-sections to perform it was either then or in 3 hours, so I chose then. After that my doctor showed up, broke my water, and we were on our way. The process was slow but completely painless. I actually spent most of the day sleeping and waiting for you to arrive. I was betting that you would come before 4, but unfortunately it was your dad who was right because I wasnt fully dilated until long after 4.


After being on the epidural for 12 hours it started to wear off, which unfortunately was the same time we started pushing. At this point my calm, cool, collected self went into crazy mode. I wanted you out Eli, even if that meant a c-section. Unfortunately, this simply sent the nurses into school mode, and they kept telling me breathe, breathe slow, blah blah blah blah. I wanted drugs and I wanted them fast!! They brought back the wonderful anaesthesiologist but even with a second epidural I was in the worst pain of my life. So despite the urgency I was feeling it took another couple of hours to actually get into the operating room, at least it felt that long.


As we headed into the c section I could still feel everything!! So here we were again me and my friend...this time we did a 3rd spinal tap, and surprise surprise it did not work. So they knocked me out cold. Thankfully through all this baby boy you were a real trooper. Your heart was strong and your patience great.


Luckily your dad was there to see your sweet entrance into the world. I however did not get to meet you until later that night in the recovery room. But it was a sweet sweet moment to finally see your perfect little face.




So at 10:15 pm on May 5, 2011 you entered the world and have forever changed our lives in the greatest possible way. Happy Birthday Eli, we love you.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecca... I hate that story. It's so similar... Hays was born about 18 minutes earlier. NOT the best day of my life, but it just gets sweeter and sweeter.
    We can't wait to meet the little man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just really hate that went so badly for you.
    pregnancy sucks enough and then the delivery sucks... i just don't get that Duggar woman?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers